The Artistic Associate Producer will, under the leadership of Founder and Executive Artistic Director, Randall Kline, be one of a team responsible for the artistic planning, budgeting, managing and scheduling of all of the SFJAZZ concerts happening each fiscal year in both halls within the Center. The season includes the main season (September to June), The San Francisco Jazz Festival (11 days, mid-June), SFJAZZ Summer Sessions (July – August).
In January 2013, SFJAZZ opened the SFJAZZ Center, the first freestanding building in the United States designed specifically for jazz presentation and education. Recognized as an international leader in jazz creation, presentation and education, SFJAZZ explores the full spectrum of jazz, from the music’s origins in the African American community to its diverse present –day expressions around the world.
This position will be principally responsible for managing all aspects of the SFJAZZ Collective and assisting in the booking of close to 300 shows at the SFJAZZ Center.
The Associate Artistic Producer position reports to the Artistic Producer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and manage the Collective’s calendar, including the booking of tours, residency activities at the Center and all outreach for the group.
- Manage and plan scope and schedule of tour with SFJAZZ Collective’s booking agent.
- Manage and develop SFJAZZ Collective budgets.
- Generate internal and external marketing, public relations, residency schedules, and interactions with other SFJAZZ departments such as marketing, development and education.; coordinate the SFJAZZ Collective’s activities while at SFJAZZ Center.
- Manage music scores and music library.
- Manage recording, production, sales and all legal issues associated with CD and digital production, distribution and music publishing.
- Work with the artistic team in the planning, booking and contracting process for over 260 shows annually.
- Research prospective artists; analyzing market data and making recommendations regarding viability and availability.
- Prepare materials pertaining to bookings for marketing and development Departments; prepare show and season budgets; analyze results as requested.
- Work with and coordinate with other departments on special events, receptions or salons, artist meet and greets, and etc.
- Oversee the logistics surrounding each artist’s booking; coordinate with the Artist Manager on airlines, hotels and ground transportation.
- Manage the visa process (when needed) of international artists.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree, ideally with an emphasis in art or music administration
- Over 5-10 years of direct experience with one or more of the following: venue talent buyer, talent agency, recording industry, music publishing, or artist management company.
- High-level jazz and music business contacts and knowledge of programming trends in the National and International musical community.
- Ability to appropriately handle contracts and budget processes; strong awareness of how to maintain artist and/or artists’ management expectations balanced with the financial needs of SFJAZZ.
- Project management; multi-tasking; problem solving abilities.
- Detail oriented person with high level of accuracy and thoroughness; attention to detail coupled with thoughtfulness and grace.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse array of constituents across multiple departments.
- High level Computer skills including facility with databases and excel spreadsheets.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods. This job requires occasional work during evenings and weekends.
Will be based upon professional and academic experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the email address: email@example.com. Mention “Associate Artistic Producer” in the subject line. Resumes without salary requirements or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
***SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SFJAZZ and will contact those selected for an interview.