Artist Assistant (On Call)
The SFJAZZ On-Call Artist Assistant provides crucial support to artists and crew during an SFJAZZ performance, both at the SFJAZZ Center and at various off-site Bay Area venues. The Artist Assistant acts as a liaison between the artists and Production/Stage Manager, Box Office and Front of House. The Artist Assistant is responsible for coordinating backstage hospitality, guest lists and artist merchandise. They also enforce the SFJAZZ COVID-19 policies in the artist wing and backstage. It is essential that the Artist Assistant have excellent organizational, time management and interpersonal communication skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as the face of SFJAZZ by creating a warm and friendly environment that welcomes the artists into the SFJAZZ Center. Establish a working relationship with the artists with a goal of making their experience at SFJAZZ seamless yet memorable
- Help ensure the safety of artists and crew members by collaboratively developing and politely enforcing the backstage COVID-19 policies established. Clearly communicate this policy to enforce the following, when applicable; social distancing, mask use and strict backstage guest requirements. Stay nimble, be ready to adapt to changes, and bring solutions to new situations
- Set up dressing rooms and green room prior to artist arrival. This includes posting schedules, stocking each dressing room, making coffee and hot water for tea as well as setting up hospitality snacks for the artists
- Be present and visible to escort and accompany the artists to and from the stage or dressing rooms at any given time upon the artists arrival and thereafter
- Coordinate with the SFJAZZ Artistic Department and artist/artist representative regarding the guest list and merchandise and communicate this information to the Front of House staff and Box Office
- Share daily feedback with Technical Director, Production Manager and Stage Manager. Provide an overview of production and personnel notes, hospitality details, concerns around adherence to safety policies and any operations/building maintenance issues to be submitted in the stage manager report
- Set up a catered dinner for the artists, which includes the set-up of chafing dishes and the preparation of plates and utensils, etc. If no catering is provided, provide buyouts in lieu of catered meal
- Give artists “time remaining” notices leading up to the show and keep in close contact with the Stage Manager, via various communication devices, throughout the show to communicate artist updates, timing and overall needs
- Monitor the Green Room and catering areas during dinner and clear plates and clean and strike left-over catering and dirty dishes
- Manage the use of petty cash for day-of hospitality and catering purchases
- Escort the artists to the lobby for CD signings, meet and greets, special events, etc.
- Act as the liaison between the artists and drivers to assist with coordinating transportation pre and post-show via text/phone
- Support the artists and be available to attend to their needs, including running short errands as time permits.
- One to two years of experience in the entertainment field working with high profile or high touch personalities or artists
- Experience in catering or food service industry is preferred
- Persistent, resourceful, and motivated self-starter
- Highly organized and independent, with the ability to work under pressure in order to retain strict timeline of the show schedule.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to direct and manage several tasks of equal priority simultaneously and sustain productivity under pressure
The hourly pay for this position is $23.50/hr.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email address: email@example.com. Mention “Artist Assistant On-Call” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.