Community Outreach & Marketing Specialist
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 33-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district.
The SFJAZZ Community Outreach & Marketing Specialist provides a central through line to the organization’s mission by developing and maintaining strategies that reinforce our community outreach efforts, strengthening relationships with partner organizations in San Francisco and the greater Bay Area, and providing strong project management for all Education-related marketing needs. The primary responsibilities of this position include the branding, messaging and implementation of education outreach initiatives, project management of department print and digital marketing needs, oversight of the organization’s community partnerships and ticket outreach efforts, and strategizing on ways to strengthen the integration of the education mission across the entire organization. The position serves as an essential advocate within our organization and in the community, supporting the efforts of the organization’s in-school and community outreach efforts in addition to all education programs taking place at the SFJAZZ Center.
The ideal candidate will come from a communications, arts education and/or non-profit arts advocacy background, have strong project management and digital/social media marketing skills, solid experience navigating the public education landscape, expertise with developing and maintaining community engagement activities and ticket outreach programs, established relationships with educators, artists, consultants and administrators, and have solid command of education outreach strategies. A consistent component of this position is the ongoing documentation and evaluation of all programs, interfacing regularly between SFJAZZ’ Education and Marketing departments, interfacing with the SFJAZZ Development department through tracking statistical data for grant reporting purposes, and conducting regularly scheduled site-visits to schools and peer organizations in order to serve as SFJAZZ’s community representative. In addition, this candidate should be well-versed in the multiculturalism and diversity of the Bay Area.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure integration of SFJAZZ Education programming message within the organization
- Principal liaison between SFJAZZ Education and Marketing Departments
- Development of branding and marketing strategies for all education outreach efforts
- Project management of Education Department’s digital and print media needs and assets
- Support the organization’s established partnerships with various community organizations
- Develop and implement strategies to strengthen the visibility of SFJAZZ’s educational initiatives
- Oversight of Ticket Outreach programs
- Continuous evaluation and statistical documentation of all outreach efforts
- Cross-department interface to ensure effective implementation of outreach efforts
- Foster engagement as the organization’s community representative
- Broaden SFJAZZ Education’s reach to socio-economically and racially diverse populations
- Design internal metrics for monitoring success and continually improving outreach efforts
- Occasional weekend and evening work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Poise and diplomacy in dealing with various types of clients
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Experience with digital marketing and email campaigns
- Strong social media and project-oriented skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Filemaker Pro or other database, Power Point, Tessitura a plus, Google Docs, Macintosh preferred)
- College degree and at least 3 years work experience in a similar role (BA or equivalent)
- Ability to work well with people of all ages, socio-economic backgrounds and ethnicities
- Bilingual preferred: English and Spanish or Mandarin
- Community, arts education or non-profit education outreach experience a must
- Experience with social media management
- Communications and marketing background
- Performing arts organization experience
- Experience in the public education or arts education sphere
- Education outreach, media relations and advertising
Education: College degree (BA or equivalent)
SFJAZZ Mission Founded in 1983, SFJAZZ is a recognized international leader in jazz creation, presentation, and education. SFJAZZ explores the full spectrum of jazz, from the music's origins in the Caribbean Basin and African American community to its diverse present-day expressions around the world. As a nonprofit organization, SFJAZZ works to develop the audience for jazz in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. SFJAZZ celebrates jazz as a living art form, built on a constantly evolving tradition.
Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio that includes work samples in all of the following areas: magazine, direct mail, advertising and digital.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with Community Outreach & Marketing Specialist in the Subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SFJAZZ and will contact those selected for an interview.