Facility Operations Manager
In this management position, the Facility Operations Manager will oversee a team of staff and, vendors to execute facility maintenance, projects and work delivery systems, providing facilities support to other departments and for events held in the facility. This position will oversee SFJAZZ Center's automated Building Management Systems and processes, andfurther define the physical plant’s standard operational and maintenance procedures to ensure the daily efficient and effective functioning of the Center. With the Operations and Production Department Teams, this person will contribute toemergency management policies and procedures consistent with professional venue management standards in compliance with all applicable codes. This position supervises the Facility MaintenanceTechnician, janitorial and security services.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
- Ensures full technological and mechanical functioning of the SFJAZZ Center physical plant. Ensures that BMS and mechanical/electrical systems are fully functioning as per specifications. Continues to further develop building systems performance and refine BMS programing.
- Continues to develop LEED-centered O&M and service delivery systems including, work orders, preventive maintenance programming, capital project recommendations, and supervision of craft building service providers including HVAC, sanitation, security, pest control and fire/life safety services.
- Establishes and implements/oversees Supports emergency management policies and procedures.
- Collaborates in the development, implementation, and execution of COVID-19 policies, procedures and mitigation measures.
- In coordination with Audience Services Management, participates in the development and delivery of staff training and drills in the areas of emergency management, first aid and CPR.
- Proactively assesses, recommends, and implements facilities standard operation policies, updates, and revisions in coordination with the Director of Operations.
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations, recommends and facilitates standards and performance metrics for all building work and service contractor performance.
- In coordination with the Director of Operations, coordinates efficiency studies and recommends procedures and practices to improve operational efficiency, as well as liaising between SFJAZZ facilities and the various governmental code enforcement entities.
- Budget management: Working with the Director of Operations, provides input to generate and monitor the facilities operating budget. Tracks budget performance, discrepancies, and forecasts performance issues such as unforeseen expenditures and cost avoidances. Responds proactively with recommendations of corrective measures. Oversees facilities procurement and inventory control systems. Recommends facilities expenditures and projects to the Director of Operations.
- LEED and Energy Efficiency: proactively supports environmental sustainability for the SFJAZZ physical plant. Actively maintains SFJAZZ Center LEED Gold certification and contributes to the development of a “whole building” efficiency improvement plan of activities. Conducts and commissions building energy and utilities assessments as directed. Fully implements SFJAZZ Green Housekeeping Policy and SFJAZZ Waste Stream Policy. Leverages external resources and program opportunities to maintain and improve efficiency work.
- Supervision of and coordination with staff and contractors:
- Supervise Facility Maintenance Technician ensuring proper prioritization of assigned duties, execution of work in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Coordinates with the Office Manager ensuring departmental and organizational needs are supported.
- Janitorial (Contracted Service) – Makes recommendations and oversees the cleaning schedule to ensure service provider is performing cleaning and sanitation services compliance with the contract and current health and safety codes. Ensures building activity is adequately supported. Supports and facilitates the RFP process as needed.
- Security (Contracted Service) – Makes recommendations and oversees staff schedule ensuring consistent staffing and training of security team and building activity. Supports and facilitates the RFP process as needed.
- Oversees all Facility Operations service providers ensuring contractual obligations are met. Supports RFP processes as needed.
- Responds to any and all building emergencies to assess, implement, repair, and mitigation measures to support continued building operations.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education or experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in venue and/or facilities operations, construction management, engineering, architecture, or a related field. IAVM or similar venue and/or facilities management certifications helpful. Experience at performing arts venues or cultural institutions preferred.
- Experience Skills in facilities management including exposure to fire/life safety and emergency management in public assemblies or other high risk building occupancies.
- Familiarity with building technology applications and LEED Centered O&M planning.
- Proven experience knowledge of venue operations concepts, strategic planning, budget management/tracking, facilities policy and procedure facilitation and ability to read site plans/construction documents. Business level writing and verbal skills.
- Project management skills, able to multi-task and re-prioritize tasks as needed. manage sizable projects and work load concurrently.
- Ability to navigate complex processes, organizational and action pathways. Resilient management skill along with an ability to operate in a developing dynamic organization. Temperament for working in a performance arts venue with multiple stakeholders with an emphasis on delivering consistently high levels of internal and external customer service.
- Understanding and application of management approaches for work direction, motivation, performance management, and disciplinary action. Skilled at relationship building and ensuring stakeholder communication and buy-in. Promotes a culture of teamwork, accountability and team results.
- An understanding of and ability to communicate with a diverse staff and client Skilled at relationship building and ensuring stakeholder communication and buy-in. Promotes a culture of teamwork, accountability and team results. base.
- Ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) with building management staff and tenants.
- California driver's license and clean DMV record required.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work without an elevator, ability to climb a ladder, ability to climb and troubleshoot building systems such as HVAC duct work. Able to respond 24/7 for building emergencies.
- Able to work outside a normal 9a – 5p schedule as needed to support organizational needs.
- Able to respond to after-hours emergencies. (listed above.)
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Mention “Facilities Operations Manager” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Job Title: Facilities Operations Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Prepared: September 2021