FOH House Manager
The Front of House House Manager works closely with members of the public, paid usher staff, volunteers, and with many departments within the SFJAZZ organization. Candidate serves as a House Manager for shows and events both on-site and off-site. The House Manager works to support donor events, rentals, and special performances and events. The House Manager supervises the Front of House staff (ushers and volunteers) as needed, supporting and implementing SFJAZZ policies, including emergency evacuation procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide event support for performances, meetings, corporate conferences, galas, film screenings, receptions at SFJAZZ and other off-site venues.
- Act as on-site contact/liaison for in-house staff, patrons, and rental clients.
- Manage & assign duties for staff ushers and volunteers per event shift.
- Work collaboratively with Box Office and Production to coordinate timely seating of patrons.
- Maintain working knowledge of ADA requirements, crowd control practices, crisis intervention, emergency procedures, and First Aid/CPR/AED training and certification.
- Provide information to guests about SFJAZZ programs and events.
- Respond with urgency to patron and crew concerns or issues. Properly elevate concerns as appropriate.
- Enforce SFJAZZ safety standards.
- Act as a principal point of contact in the case of Evacuation, in compliance with the SFJAZZ Emergency Plan.
- Report diligently and in a detailed manner, significant issues and relevant facts to the Operations Department during and/or after each event.
- Work closely with other department staff (Production, Box Office, Security, Development, Rentals, Education, Restaurant).
- Work collaboratively and professionally within the Operations team and within the organization at large.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, nights and holidays.
- Perform basic troubleshooting for radio equipment and scanners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Resourceful and motivated self-starter, looking to work in the non-profit performing arts and events sectors.
- Highly organized, independent worker, has the ability to multitask and work under pressure to coordinate and prioritize multiple requests. Has the ability to stay calm under pressure while maintaining open and transparent communication.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, strong relationship-building and conflict resolution skills.
- Collaborative work style and history of working effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Commitment to and ability to articulate the SFJAZZ Vision and Mission Statement.
- Superior customer service management skills.
- Experience with managing and supervising paid Staff and Volunteers.
- Knowledge of ADA requirements
- Events Management and/or experience with Music or Theatrical productions strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent; 1 – 2 years job related experience
- Excellent verbal, communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to carry out directions as well as to take initiative in solving problems.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of various and diverse cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Outgoing personality with an interest or love of jazz and live performance.
- Proficiency in use of computers and Google Suite is necessary.
- Availability to work variable schedules, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The work schedule requires regular availability on evenings and weekends, with varied needs for daytime availability to support Rental Events. The SFJAZZ season generally operates on a performance schedule of Thursday-Sunday, in addition to rentals which are typically held Monday-Thursday, generally late September through early August. Physical requirements include ability to safely navigate stairs, extended periods of time standing, working in dark theatre environments, and the ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
The hourly rate for this position is $31.50 per hour.
This is a union position. Employee is required to become a member of the union within 30 days after beginning of employment within bargaining unit.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz, presenting over 450 concerts per year to more than 250,000 music fans. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. In March of 2020, SFJAZZ launched its digital expansion featuring weekly archival ‘Fridays At Five’ broadcasts, select monthly on demand full concerts, and live stream performances from the SFJAZZ Center. This expansion will continue even with the return of live performances.
Please send us your resume and cover letter to job@.sfjazz.org. Include House Manager in the subject line.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.