Under the direction of the Director of Marketing, the Lead Designer is responsible for brand management for SFJAZZ, design, production and project management of advertising (online, print, digital and broadcast), collateral development, and environmental graphics. This is a hands-on position requiring a positive attitude, organizational and communication skills, clear understanding of and experience in branding, the ability to work in a collaborative team environment, the talent to create compelling and appropriate design solutions, and the discipline to manage multiple large projects responsibly. This person also oversees the work of a Junior Designer within the Marketing Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for design of all materials associated with SFJAZZ and SFJAZZ Center events and programs, including but not limited to, advertising (digital, print, broadcast, outdoor), sales catalogues, program books, brochures, postcards, website, posters, invitations, venue signage, videos, press materials and merchandise.
- Meets with various SFJAZZ departments and provides guidance on branding, project objectives and requirements; develops and presents appropriate design solutions.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating design-related brand guidelines
- Manages, provides helpful feedback and oversees the work of another Designer
- Selects and edits photography
- Obtains required approvals for all phases of a project, works well under pressure and responsibly meets deadlines.
- Any other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5 - 7 years graphic design experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of branding principles and imperatives required.
- Work experience with a preference for arts/entertainment organizations.
- Expertise with industry-standard graphic design and digital art production tools for print and web media is essential with strong skills required in Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), as well as Acrobat.
- In-depth knowledge of production processes in both print and digital media required.
- Must have strong project management skills, ability to think strategically and manage multiple and often conflicting priorities, anticipate demands, coordinate stringent deadlines, and be agile in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of graciously synthesizing and incorporating feedback from a variety of sources.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including the ability to sell your design concepts to the management team.
- Experience managing or overseeing other designers
- Strong interest in the performing arts and music.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods. This job requires occasional work during evenings.
Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio that includes work samples in all of the following areas: print, direct mail, advertising and digital.
Submit to jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org with "Lead Designer" in the Subject line. Resumes without all the requested information or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. NO phone calls please.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SFJAZZ is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace.
Job Title: Lead Designer
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Prepared: July 26, 2021