Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer plays a critical role in ensuring the financial well-being of SFJAZZ by working to increase individual donor support, conducting the stewardship and solicitation of annual Leaders Circle gifts up to $50,000, along with SFJAZZ Gala packages and planned gifts. The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Associate Director, Individual Giving. The Individual Giving Director stewards their own portfolio and supports organizational leadership in the cultivation of gift officers’ portfolios. Success will requireintegration with SFJAZZ leadership to understand and help shape the strategic initiatives and vision of the organization and to nurture a strong vision among donors and prospects of the impact that their investment can have on jazz music and the wider community, through both personal communications and direct marketing approaches.
SFJAZZ is among the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz and its related musics. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The (pre-pandemic) budget for the organization was more than $19 million; 60% is derived from ticket sales.
In 2017, SFJAZZ secured a $3 million, three-year grant from the Stupski Foundation to expand three in-school programs: Jazz in the Middle, Jazz in Session, and School Day Concerts. By 2020, these programs reached every student in Oakland and San Francisco public and charter middle schools. This growth is still supported by the Stupski Foundation, and now includes new funding partners. SFJAZZ has developed strategies to increase broad community engagement (including efforts beyond its Education initiatives), to support the development and participation in jazz and related art forms in and beyond the SFJAZZ Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Actively develop individual moves management plans for a portfolio of approximately 100-150current and lapsed Leaders Circle Members who give up to $25,000 annually, including personal solicitation of education, Leaders Circle, Gala, and designated campaign gifts, with a predetermined portfolio goal.
- Gain fluency with SFJAZZ Education programs and produce any related campaign collateral as needed. Work closely with the Education Department regarding program updates, integrating staff and site visits into donor cultivation, and identifying key opportunities for campaign messaging.
- Identify and cultivate a portfolio of at least 20 new prospects for securing new annual gifts through both direct marketing and one-on-one engagement;
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Individual Giving to identify and introduce prospects for planned giving;
- Set, manage, and meet aggressive targets for annual gifts, developing an effective pipeline to the major, campaign, and planned gifts program.
- Track cultivation and stewardship activities for your portfolio in the Tessitura database.
- Work with the Associate Director of Individual Giving Director and other members of the Development team, and other key SFJAZZ Artistic, Operations, and Production staff to produce and staff special events such as receptions at concerts, salons, meet and greets, and our annual gala.
- Conduct and document systematic prospect research.
- Provide support to the Chief Executive Officer, Executive Artistic Director, Director of Development, and Associate Director of Individual Giving by creating donor/prospect briefings, proposal materials, and other major donor communications.
- Support the Major Gifts Committee and other select Trustees in the cultivation and stewardship of their designated prospects for Annual Fund and campaign goals;
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert hall and in the community, and at donor events.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Four years+ fundraising experience, with a focus on individual donors
- Ability to conceive, plan, and execute a major gifts program, including annual giving campaigns, special events, and direct and personal solicitation;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Extensive donor database experience, knowledge of Tessitura highly desired;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office products and Google-based business products, and a working knowledge of procedures for donor research;
- Superior interpersonal skills, ability to engage professionally with volunteers, colleagues, and donors;
- Available to work weeknights and weekends, often multiple times per week;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner;
- Respect for sensitivity of donor information and a strong sense of fundraising ethics; and,
- Strong work ethic, professional manner, and appearance in representing SFJAZZ.
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications, excellent benefits, and a dynamic, casual San Francisco office. Evening work is often required. The ability to speak business-level English and a California driver’s license are also required.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To be considered for this position, submit resume and cover letter to the email address Jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Applications submitted through other channels may not be considered. Please no phone calls.
Job Title: Major Gifts Officer
Reports To: Individual Giving Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: April 23, 2021