Lighting Board Operator and Electrician, On-Call
The SFJAZZ Lighting Board Operator/Electrician position provides crucial support to SFJAZZ Artistic, Education and Rental departments under the supervision of the Lighting Designer and Technical Director.
The Lighting Board Operator and Electrician is responsible for the operation of lighting and rigging equipment including conventional, LED and intelligent fixtures and motors while maintaining a working knowledge of lighting systems throughout the SFJAZZ Center. This role requires a basic knowledge of ETC Paradigm Systems and ETC Gateway nodes and strong programming and operational skills on the GrandMA2 Lighting console.
- Creating a lighting design, program and operate the lighting console for Artistic and Educational performances, as well as Corporate rental events
- Hanging and focusing lighting instruments specific to each performance or event and restore fixtures per the repertory light plot post-show
- Assisting house and visiting Lighting Designers to implement their lighting designs
- Providing support as a venue lighting representative when interfacing with outside rental clients
- Assisting Production stage crew with show load-in. This includes installing and striking stage, and the set up of music stands, chairs, pianos, amplifiers, drum kits, rugs and other stage props
Expert proficiency in the following equipment/skills:
- GrandMA2 lighting console
- ETC Sensor dimming system
- ETC Paradigm lighting control system
- Clay Paky Alpha Profiles, Martin MAC Auras and/or other moving head equivalent fixtures
- Safe and secure rigging practices as it pertains to chain hoists, truss and lighting fixtures
- Knowledge of electricity (120/208 VAC, 3-Ø) and how to tie in to a company switch
- Working knowledge of lighting for live music (experience with live jazz music a plus) and theatrical productions
- Experience as a working electrician, lighting board operator and designer in a performance environment.
The hourly rate for this position is $35/hr.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter to the email address: email@example.com. Mention “Lighting Board Operator” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.