The accountant is responsible for a diverse array of entry-level accounting duties that support the San Francisco Jazz Organization’s financial functions. The position’s primary functions are to perform a range of basic accounting and reporting activities. These include extensive data entry; monthly close activities; financial reporting duties; revenue and cost reporting; basic analyses; accurate and timely reconciling and reporting for various general ledger accounts; maintaining fixed asset listing; serving as back-up for payroll and assisting with payroll-related accounting entries; and assisting with financial reports and statistics as needed.
Reporting Structure: This position reports to the Controller with additional accountability to the Chief Financial Officer and the Associate Director of Finance and Administration.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE
- Supervise the timely processing and data entry of payables for assigned accounts
- Review backup for completeness
- Manage and schedule cash disbursements of A/P
- Maintain backup documentation and files
- Follow up with organization staff, vendors, and/or other stakeholders as needed
- Oversee timely processing and data entry of revenue for assigned accounts
- Prepare invoices required, record checks, and make check deposits
- Maintain backup documentation and files
- Assist in the reconciliation monthly bank account for assigned accounts – gathering and archiving statement
- Maintain cash flash report
- Follow up with donors, organization staff, and/or other stakeholders as needed
- Prepare General Ledger entries to record transactions and adjustments
- Manage Balance sheet account analysis
- Assist with monthly close activities
- Flag errors for accuracy and completeness
- Provide support during annual audits, filing of tax returns, and 1099/1096 filings
- Provide support and communication for organization staff for external partners/vendors about policies, updates, transaction activities, and general inquiries
- Provide payroll support including entries, reconciliation, and report creation/distribution
- Assist organization staff on proper coding and recommend new GL codes as needed
- Maintain filing system for financial documents and records
- Assist with periodic financial reporting
- Organize and manage annual 1099/1096 tax filings.
- Assist with credit card payments, collection and reviewing support
- Assist in special projects if needed and other duties as assigned by the Controller
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with major in accounting or equivalent job experience.
- At least 2 years of accounting experience preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Tech-savvy, detail-oriented, highly organized, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple schedules and changing deadlines and priorities
- A people person who is positive, open minded, articulate, outgoing, willing/eager to learn, collegial, and has a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, possesses a strong work ethic, has ambition, and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ethics and integrity with skills in exercising good independent judgment and demonstrable analytical abilities.
- Strong interest in the arts/music and organizational mission.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel, and at least intermediate skills in other Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.)
- 100% employer-paid HMO for employees (dependent coverage, POS, dental/vision available)
- 4% employer match towards your 401(K) contributions
- Generous paid leave benefits including Birthdays off and a floating holiday.
- Participation in a bonus pool based on employee and company performance.
- Flexible working arrangement including remote work for the right candidate.
- A collaborative Finance and Administration team
- An organization committed to social justice including pay equity.
- Employee discounts on SFJAZZ performances.
- Expected salary range: $62K - $67K commensurate with experience and based on internal pay equity structure.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Mention “Staff Accountant” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Job Title: Accountant
Reports to: n/a
Prepared: August 2021