House Usher (On-Call)
SFJAZZ is seeking for someone who has a positive attitude to welcome guests and patrons. As an Usher, you will support concert performances, donor events, rentals and special performances/events at SFJAZZ. This role will interact with guests, patrons, VIP members, volunteers and SFJAZZ staff. To be a successful usher, we expect someone with a friendly manner to easily attend to guests’ needs and provide exceptional customer service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Greet patrons and visitors, scan or collect tickets, direct patrons, check coats and bags, monitor entryways to buildings, and maintain an exceptionally high level of customer service during events, including: (but not limited to) performances, receptions, lectures, screenings, and gallery exhibitions.
- Maintain working knowledge of ADA requirements, crowd control practices, crisis intervention, emergency procedures, and First Aid/CPR/AED training and certification.
- Provide information to guests about SFJAZZ programs and events.
- Assist with event setup, including furniture placement, stanchion and sign setup, and numbering of the theatre seats.
- Establish and maintain professional, friendly, productive, and cooperative relationships with patrons, volunteer ushers, visitors, staff, and clients.
- Work collaboratively and professionally within the Operations team and within the organization at large.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Support and oversee volunteers in their assigned roles.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of equipment, including, but not limited to, scanners and radios.
- Participating in Mandatory Shifts SFJAZZ for performance dates that require a high volume of staff. Mandatory shifts are as follows: Gala, New Years Eve - Chris Botti and Pink Martini.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Resourceful and motivated self-starter, looking to work in the non-profit performing arts and events sectors.
- Highly organized, team worker, with the ability to stay calm under pressure while maintaining open communication.
- Collaborative work style and history of working effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Commitment to and ability to articulate the SFJAZZ Vision and Mission Statement.
- Superior customer service skills.
- 1 – 2 years of job related experience.
- Excellent verbal, communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to carry out directions as well as to take initiative in solving problems.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of various and diverse cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Outgoing personality with an interest or love of jazz and live performance
- Availability to work variable schedules, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The work schedule requires regular availability on evenings and weekends, with varied needs for daytime availability to support rental events. The SFJAZZ season generally operates on a performance schedule of Thursday-Sunday, in addition to rentals which are typically held Monday-Thursday, generally late September through early August. Physical requirements include ability to safely navigate stairs, extended periods of time standing, working in dark environments and lifting up to 35 pounds.
Hourly rate for this positon is $26.00 per hour.
This is a union position. Employee is required to become a member of the union within 30 days after beginning of employment within bargaining unit.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz, presenting over 450 concerts per year to more than 250,000 music fans. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. In March of 2020, SFJAZZ launched its digital expansion featuring weekly archival Fridays at Five broadcasts, select monthly on demand full concerts, and live stream performances from the SFJAZZ Center. This expansion will continue even with the return of live performances.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “House Usher” in the subject line.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.