Director of Marketing
Director of Marketing
Lead SFJAZZ marketing strategy and execution as well as program development for ticket sales. Develop the SFJAZZ brand across key segments to drive brand authenticity and growth. Support planning and execution for memberships, philanthropy, and content distribution. Lead staff of seven professionals and manage key vender relationships.
Reports to: CEO
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 32-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2014/2015 Season is more than $12 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
- Develop and execute the strategy and plan for SFJAZZ marketing to position the brand as a key jazz influencer and generate ticket sales in these segments. Lead brainstorming, ideation and communication; develop plans and programs across marketing disciplines (publishing, partnerships, web, social media, and PR); manage programs from start to finish; and lead cross-functional teams to implement and analyze programs.
- Drive ticket sales via marketing execution and support internal and external programs such as concerts and performances, Education and amateur bands, SFJAZZ Collective, Membership and Development. Communicate SFJAZZ artistic vision as centerpiece of deep and ongoing relationship with SFJAZZ community and artists.
- Determine objectives and metrics for overall plans as well as individual programs. Work with the CEO to set project priorities, provide guidance, establish goals and provide feedback to Marketing staff and Management team.
- Lead cross-functional team (PR, email newsletters, catalog publishing, Web/e-commerce, social media, and design) to deliver marketing programs for sectors and channels.
- Oversee and manage marketing budget. Work collaboratively with Finance to appropriately forecast expenses and revenues.
- Identify opportunities for SFJAZZ to proactively partner with influencers, tastemakers, technology organizations and other partners to help achieve SFJAZZ brand objectives.
- Act as the primary contact for key program stakeholders for SFJAZZ marketing. Be the subject matter expert.
- Actively contribute to marketing ideas and marketing program optimization to accomplish organizational and brand goals.
- Source and manage external partners as needed to accomplish marketing objectives.
- Support Founder and Executive Artistic Director, Director of Development, Board of Trustee Chair and CEO on the development of key SFJAZZ presentations.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years of consumer marketing experience, including 3+ years in music related marketing with a preference for jazz and performance arts Center experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of jazz and consumer marketing principles; branding, communications, box office marketing, web publishing, social media, marketing plan and collateral development.
- Strong collaborative cross-functional team leadership, marketing program and project management skills.
- Strong strategic abilities combined with analytical skills and significant experience developing marketing strategies, plans and programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with strong presentation skills. Copywriting ability required.
- Flexible and adapts readily to changing priorities and needs of a fast-paced organization.
- Brings a positive and “can do” attitude to any and all projects, including driving organizational culture.
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), CRM (Tessitura a plus), and email marketing software (WordFly a plus).
- Mac Proficient
- Ideal candidate has a passion for jazz and live-performance music.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or faxes.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.