Major Gifts Officer
Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer plays a critical role in increasing individual donor support and acting
as an ambassador for SFJAZZ across the community. He/she is responsible for overseeing the
stewardship of current donors and solicitation of prospective donors to the current capital
campaign as well as other special campaigns. The Major Gifts Officer will also be responsible for
formalizing the organization’s planned giving program.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Director of Development and will collaborate closely with Leaders Circle, Membership and Institutional fundraising staff.
The SFJAZZ Center opened in San Francisco’s Hayes Valley in January 2013. This is an incredible opportunity for a motivated individual to help define relationships with SFJAZZ's most committed supporters, introduce SFJAZZ to new patrons and work with a talented and creative team to greatly expand the potential of SFJAZZ.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Maintain a personal portfolio of current campaign donors and prospects; Communicate with portfolio through face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings, as well as written strategies; Ensure that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Develop solicitation strategies for donors/prospects in support of the organization’s capital campaign, planned giving, and other giving programs; Ensure strategies are compatible and maximize opportunities with other existing campaigns and appeals.
- Support the fundraising efforts of high-level volunteers, including the Board of Trustees, Board Development Committees, and senior staff in securing new and renewed gifts.
- With the Director of Development, create and manage budgets for special campaigns; Track and report on progress to goal to senior management and Trustees, including contacts, gifts, pledges, and cash-flow projections.
- Oversee solicitation tracking reports for all fundraisers working on special campaigns; Provide meeting support materials to fundraisers and other senior management, including talking points, solicitation materials, background, and follow-up proposals.
- Work with Campaign & Research Coordinator on screening and preparing profiles of current and prospective donors; Establish and refine benchmarks for department research processes.
- Manage the design and implementation of donor recognition throughout the building and elsewhere; Ensure a timely schedule for updates and listing verifications.
- Develop a strategy and supporting materials for the organization’s planned giving program, including research and communication to the Development and Finance departments on issues related to charitable trust and estate matters.
- With the Director of Development and other Development staff, design special campaign- related events targeted to current and prospective donors.
- Be a visible presence at Development special events, such as receptions during concerts, major donor cultivation events, and fundraisers such as the annual Gala.
- Participate in Development Department and Development Committee meetings.
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert halls and the community.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Five to seven years of direct experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts of $10,000 and above;
- Ability to conceive, plan, and execute a major gifts program, including annual giving, special events, and special projects/campaigns.
- Capable of inspiring support from a variety of constituent groups.
- Willingness to be hands-on in a role that is demanding and requires a high level of energy.
- Extensive donor database experience, knowledge of Tessitura highly desired.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and a working knowledge of search functions for donor research purposes.
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues, and donors.
- Strong work ethic, professional manner, and ability to represent SFJAZZ.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete assignment when faced with many deadlines and competing requirements.
- Experience with performing arts presenters highly desirable.
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications, excellent benefits, and a dynamic, casual San Francisco office. Evening and weekend work is often required. The ability to speak business-level English and a California driver’s license are also required.
To be considered for this position, please submit resume, salary history, and cover letter clearly
articulating your interest in SFJAZZ and why this is the ideal job for you. Submit applications to the
email address email@example.com. Applications submitted through other channels or that do
not contain the above information may not be considered. Please no phone calls.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace.
We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SFJAZZ and will contact those selected for an interview.