The SFJAZZ Center opened in San Francisco’s Hayes Valley in January 2013. In anticipation of this new
venue designed specifically for jazz performance and creation, the SFJAZZ membership has doubled in size.
The Membership Manager plans and directs all aspects of the annual giving program for gifts under $1,200,
including implementation of renewal and acquisition campaigns, fulfillment of member benefits, marketing
and promotion of member programs, campaign analysis and reporting, and budget management. The
Membership Manager will also play an essential role in ensuring the Development Department continues to
meet Annual Fund goals by cultivating Members towards major gift potential.
This is an incredible opportunity for a motivated individual to define how our core base of supporters will engage with the SFJAZZ Center for many years to come while being part of a creative team that expands upon the potential of a new cultural landmark.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement annual plans and detailed budgets for the program, as well as long-term planning that meets the goals of the organization’s overall strategic vision.
- Direct all logistics of member renewals and acquisitions via mail, email, and phone, including overseeing Donor Services staff, vendors and volunteers in the execution of these activities.
- Conceive and write collateral materials in promotion of the program, including renewal and acquisition mailings, benefits descriptions, and customer service pieces.
- Collaborate with Marketing Dept. in the design and production of membership collateral; facilitate meetings, timelines, and communication between Development and Marketing Depts.
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for all levels below Leaders Circle.
- Analyze performance of appeals and campaigns, as well as long-term membership trends and projections; present findings at team and organizational meetings.
- Develop new strategies for increasing giving amongst current donors, reinstating lapsed donors, and acquiring new donors.
- Collaborate with Major Gifts Officer on upgrading Members to Leaders Circle and major gifts.
- Coordinate Artistic, Production, and Facilities Departments on all Member events.
- Work with the Donor Services team on maintaining high standards in gift entry, acknowledgments, renewals, pledge reminders, donor records management and research.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and prospective donors at performances, at the SFJAZZ Box Office, and over phone/email, including handling of sensitive customer service issues and the training of SFJAZZ staff in customer service policies and techniques.
- Act as a best-practices leader in regards to the Tessitura CRM.
- Represent SFJAZZ to 6,000 current donors, as well as prospective donors, vendors, consultants, and peers at other organizations.
- Participate in Board of Trustees Development Committees meetings as needed.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
STATUS AND SCOPE:
- Detail oriented person with a commitment to consistent accuracy and thoroughness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience implementing direct marketing campaigns and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience with Tessitura, Raiser’s Edge, or similar donor + ticketing database.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive documents.
- Customer service-oriented with a high level of confidence in communicating with diverse constituencies.
- Professional demeanor and appearance.
- Interest in jazz and jazz-related music a plus.
Bachelors Degree with at least 2-3 years experience running a membership program for a nonprofit organization.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to evenings and weekends, with the potential for long hours during critical periods such as special events.
Please send your resume, cover letter, sample of or link to a marketing piece you have authored, and salary
requirements to email@example.com. Mention “Membership Manager” in the subject line.
Resumes will be accepted until position filled. No phone calls, please.
SAN FRANCISCO JAZZ ORGANIZATION (SFJAZZ) IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF.