The Controller reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for performing accounting duties as well as managing the day-to- day operations of the finance department. The Controller manages multiple accounting staff in the areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, gift recording, payroll, fixed assets, general ledger maintenance, and tax compliance. They are directly responsible for all aspects of preparing the monthly financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Acco unting Principles (GAAP) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the preparation of the annual operating budget.
SFJAZZ is one of the world's most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million Center launched in 2013 and the 34-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2016-17 Season is more than $16 million with more than half coming from ticket revenues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Supervise all accounting areas that support a $16 million annual budget.
- Oversee and manage accounts payable, assuring all policy, procedures and internal controls are followed consistently. Assures invoices and checks are processed timely a nd accurately.
- Oversee and manage cash receipts and recording of gifts received. Works closely with the development department to assure that all policies, procedures, and internal controls are followed consistently.
- Assure accuracy of all general ledger activity, including reconciliations of all necessary general ledger accounts, and review of general ledger activity.
- Responsible for timely month-end close including preparation of financial statements with comparisons and analysis of prior periods and budgets.
- Assist Director of Finance with the preparation, maintenance, and reforecasts of the annual operating budget; provides budget reports to management and assists in interpreting the results; refines the budgeting methodology and looks for tools to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the process.
- Works closely with the development department to provide all necessary financial information for grant applications and reports.
- Maintain automated accounting syste m to ensure integrity of data interfaced between the ticketing database (Tessitura), venue & event management software (Artifax) and the financial software (Intacct).
- Facilitate and coordinate the organization's annual audit. Manage the preparation of audit schedules and requests.
- Supervises preparation of tax schedules for outside accountants to prepare annual tax filings.
- Assist Director of Finance with presentation information to senior management, committees, and the Board.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Four year degree in accounting and a CPA designation required.
- 5+ years accounting/finance experience required with proven supervisory skills
- Non-profit accounting experience strongly preferred
- Prefer experience in the performing arts industry; job cost accounting; and automation in accounting and financial applications.
- Highly detail oriented; ability to meet deadlines and effective problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills and experience using technology to streamline processes; advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and management
Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, along with a cover letter explaining your interest in SFJAZZ, and salary history to: email@example.com with Controller in the Subject line. Resumes without all the requested information or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. NO phone calls please.