The Associate Director, Membership & Donor Services is the key staff person overseeing stewardship of more than 11,000 donors giving up to $1,000 annually while developing strategies to grow SFJAZZ membership. The role focuses on two priorities: creating engaging membership campaigns and providing vision and guidance for a Donor Services team of three, including supervising the Donor Services Manager. Success requires the ability to inspire thoughtful collaboration with staff in the Development, Marketing, Box Office, Operations, and Artistic departments and a strong understanding of the motivations of a curious, diverse and deeply engaged base of music fans.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 34-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2015-16 Season is more than $14 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES to comprise specific scope of work include:
- Develop and implement ambitious annual plans for the acquisition and retention of Members and annual fund donors, as well as long-term strategy that aligns with the organization’s vision.
- Supervise the Donor Services Manager and lead the Donor Services team, ensuring successful execution of all member appeals, renewals, pledge reminders, and event invitations via mail, email, and phone.
- Conceive campaigns and collateral materials in promotion of the membership program, including renewal and acquisition marketing, benefits development and descriptions, and customer service communications.
- Manage the design and production of membership collateral; facilitate meetings, timelines, and communication between Development, Marketing, consultants and vendors in the successful execution of appeals and campaigns.
- Create, track and report on membership revenue and expenses. Analyze membership trend and direct response reports to make decisions that will grow membership and deepen donor engagement.
- Research, identify, and develop new strategies for increasing giving amongst current donors, reinstating lapsed donors, and acquiring new donors, including utilizing the organization’s digital initiatives to establish an international membership base.
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for all levels below Leaders Circle.
- Attend cultivation, educational, and artistic events in order to meet Members, represent the organization, and remain familiar with the constituent experience.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and prospective donors at performances, at the SFJAZZ Box Office, and over phone and email, including handling of sensitive customer service issues and the training of staff in customer service policies and techniques.
- Collaborate with Marketing in creating and maintaining a strong membership message across sfjazz.org and related sites, as well as social media.
- Collaborate with Leaders Circle staff in upgrading Members to Leaders Circle levels.
- Participate in Board of Trustees Development Committees meetings as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
STATUS AND SCOPE
- Experience running a highly successful membership/engagement program for a cultural or entertainment organization, including significant direct marketing experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with direct response analysis and A/B testing techniques.
- Strong attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects.
- Ability to work well with diverse personalities across position levels and departments.
- Extensive experience with customer relationship management databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work well with minimum supervision.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Interest in jazz and related music.
Bachelor's degree and five to seven years of direct marketing experience within cultural institutions or the entertainment industry.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods and special events. This job occasionally requires work during evenings and weekends.
The salary will be based upon professional and academic experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Writing and other work samples are welcome. Mention “Associate Director, Membership & Donor Services” in the subject line. Resumes without salary requirements will not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position filled.