The Senior Manager, Membership is the key staff person managing stewardship of more
than 11,000 donors giving less than $1,200 annually while developing strategies to grow
SFJAZZ membership. The Senior Manager, Membership creates engaging membership
campaigns and provides vision for a Donor Services team of three, including supervising the
Donor Services Manager. Success in this role includes the ability to inspire thoughtful
collaboration with staff in the Development, Marketing, Box Office, Operations, and Artistic
departments and a strong understanding of the motivations of a curious, diverse and deeply
engaged base of music fans.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ
Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the
living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 34-
year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education
services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2016-17 Season
is $16 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES to comprise scope of work include:
- Develop and implement ambitious annual plans and campaigns for the acquisition
and retention of Members, as well as long-term strategy that aligns with the
- Supervise the Donor Services Manager and provide oversight of the Donor Services
team, ensuring successful execution of all member appeals, renewals, pledge
reminders, and event invitations via mail, email, and phone.
- Conceive collateral materials in promotion of the membership program, including
renewal and acquisition marketing, benefits development and descriptions, and
customer service communications.
• Manage the design and production of collateral; facilitate meetings, timelines, and
communication between Development, Marketing, and vendors in the successful
execution of appeals and campaigns.
- Track and report on membership revenue and expenses. Analyze membership trend
and direct response reports to grow membership and deepen donor engagement.
- Research, identify, and develop new strategies for increasing giving amongst current
donors, reinstating lapsed donors, and acquiring new donors, including utilizing the
organization’s digital initiatives to establish an international membership base.
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for Members.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and
prospective donors, including handling of sensitive customer service issues and the
training of staff in customer service policies and techniques.
- Collaborate with Marketing in creating and maintaining a strong membership
message across SFJAZZ.org and related sites, as well as social media.
- Collaborate with Corporate Sponsorship Manager in managing a corporate
membership and affinity-group outreach program;
- Attend cultivation, educational, and artistic events in order to meet Members,
represent the organization, and remain familiar with the constituent experience.
- Collaborate with Leaders Circle staff in upgrading Members to Leaders Circle levels.
- Participate in Board of Trustees Development Committees meetings as needed.
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert halls and in the community, and at donor events.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may expand to include other
duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Two to three years experience running a successful membership/loyalty program for a
cultural or entertainment organization, with significant direct marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrated familiarity with direct response analysis and A/B testing techniques.
- Strong attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects.
- Ability to work well with diverse personalities across position levels and departments.
- Extensive experience with customer relationship management databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work well with minimum supervision.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Interest in jazz and related music.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the
potential for long hours during critical periods and special events. This job occasionally
requires work during evenings and weekends.
The salary will be based upon professional and academic experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the email address: jobs
[at] sfjazz [dot] org. Writing and other work samples are welcome. Mention “Senior
Manager, Membership” in the subject line. Resumes without salary requirements will not be
considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position filled.