The Associate Artistic Manager will, under the leadership of Founder and Executive Artistic Director, Randall Kline, be one of a team responsible for the artistic planning, budgeting, managing and scheduling of all of the SFJAZZ concerts happening each fiscal year in both halls within the Center. The season includes the main season (September to June), The San Francisco Jazz Festival (11 days, mid-June), SFJAZZ Summer Sessions (July – August).
In January 2013, SFJAZZ opened the SFJAZZ Center, the first freestanding building in the United States designed specifically for jazz presentation and education. Recognized as an international leader in jazz creation, presentation and education, SFJAZZ explores the full spectrum of jazz, from the music’s origins in the African American community to its diverse present–day expressions around the world.
This Associate Artistic manager position will be principally responsible for assisting in booking the 300+ shows presented and produced by SFJAZZ. This position will be responsible for booking shows for the Joe Henderson Lab and our off site concert series at Stanford Shopping Center and Levi’s Plaza. He/she is in change of managing said shows and for handling and tracking all contracts and performance fees for the Artistic Department. This position will also be responsible for producing events such as the American Book Awards, the New Year’s Eve concert and others as assigned.
The Associate Artistic Manager position reports to the Artistic Producer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES to comprise specific scope of work include the following:
- Assist the Artistic Producer in sending offers for all shows in every hall
- Work with the agents and managers to book and negotiate artists for
concerts in the Joe Henderson Lab and two offsite summer concert series, Stanford Shopping Center and Levi’s Plaza
- Manage and develop budgets for the Joe Henderson Lab & offsite summer shows
- Generate offers for contracts for all SFJAZZ concerts
- Manage and track all contracts for the Artistic department
- SFJAZZ is a dynamic organization that has been rapidly growing. Therefore the
successful candidate for this position should have the ability to be flexible and have the ability to take on new tasks as they present themselves.
Logistics and Administrative
- Oversee the logistics surrounding artist’s booking as assigned; coordinate with the Travel Coordinator on airlines, hotels and ground transportation, as assigned.
- Manage scheduling for the Artistic department via the organizational calendar in Artifax Event; populate the calendar with booking details for each performance.
- Manage the visa process (when needed) of international artists.
- Prepare and follow-through on performance fees for all SFJAZZ concerts
- Prepare and manage artist guest lists for all SFJAZZ concerts
- Coordinate artist meet & greet requests and any other artist requests with managers, as assigned.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree, ideally with an emphasis in music, or music administration;
- Over 5-10 years of direct experience with one or more of the following: venue talent buyer, talent agency, recording industry, music publishing, or artist management company.
- High-level jazz and music business contacts and knowledge of programming trends in the National and International musical community
- Ability to appropriately handle contracts and budget processes; strong awareness of how to maintain artist and/or artists’ management expectations balanced with the financial needs of SFJAZZ.
- Project management; multi-tasking; problem solving abilities.
- Detail oriented person with high level of accuracy and thoroughness; attention to detail coupled with thoughtfulness and grace.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse array of constituents across multiple departments.
- High level Computer skills including facility with databases and excel spreadsheets
Working Conditions: The work schedule varies from customary office hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods. This job requires occasional work during evenings and weekends, as well as conference travel.
Salary: Will be based upon professional and academic experience.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Mention “Associate Artistic Producer” in the subject line. Resumes without salary requirements or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
***SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SFJAZZ and will contact those selected for an interview.