Under the direction of the Associate Director of Marketing, the Graphic Designer is responsible for brand management for SFJAZZ, design, production and project management of advertising (online, print, digital and broadcast), collateral development, merchandise design, and environmental graphics. This is a hands-on position requiring a positive attitude, organizational and communication skills, clear understanding of and experience in branding, the ability to work in a collaborative team environment, the talent to create compelling and appropriate design solutions, and the discipline to manage multiple large projects responsibly. This person works collaboratively with another Graphic Designer within the Marketing Department.
Reports to: Associate Director of Marketing
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 33-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2014/2015 Season is more than $12 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for design of all materials associated with SFJAZZ and SFJAZZ Center events and programs, including but not limited to, advertising (digital, print, broadcast, outdoor), sales catalogues, program books, brochures, postcards, website, posters, invitations, venue signage, press materials and merchandise.
- Meets with various SFJAZZ departments to discuss project objectives and requirements; develops and presents appropriate design solutions.
- Selects and edits photography.
- Obtains required approvals for all phases of a project, works well under pressure and responsibly meets deadlines.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Minimum Skills & Qualifications:
- 2 - 5 years graphic design experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of branding principles and imperatives required.
- Work experience with a preference for arts/entertainment organizations.
- Expertise with industry-standard graphic design and digital art production tools for print and web media is essential with strong skills required in Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), as well as Acrobat and PowerPoint.
- In-depth knowledge of production processes in both print and digital media required.
- Must have strong project management skills, ability to think strategically and manage multiple and often conflicting priorities, anticipate demands, coordinate stringent deadlines, and be agile in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of graciously synthesizing and incorporating feedback from a variety of sources.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including the ability to sell your design concepts to the management team.
- Strong interest in the performing arts and jazz music.
Working Conditions:The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods. This job requires occasional work during evenings and weekends.
Salary: The salary will be commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio that includes work samples in all of the following areas: magazine, direct mail, advertising and digital.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org Resumes without all the requested information or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.