The Major Gifts & Research Coordinator reports to the Individual Giving Director and plays a critical role in increasing individual donor support. He/she is responsible for a wide variety of prospect donor research and major gift activities that increases the major gift pipeline. Key areas of emphasis include identifying, profiling, and qualifying prospects, estimating financial capacity and organizational affinity, pinpointing institutional linkages and funding interests. Additional responsibilities include supporting the Major Gifts Team (Director of Development, Individual Giving Director, Major Gifts Officer, CEO, and Executive Artistic Director) in activities such as gift processing, report generation, donor relations, event production, and general administrative duties.
Reports to: Individual Giving Director
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 33-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2014/2015 Season is more than $12 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and provide general administrative support for senior fundraising staff including: individual and institutional prospect research, list management, Tessitura database work, mailings, donor benefits/recognition fulfillment, and other functions as needed to support major and planned gifts fundraising.
- Assist and support Board of Trustees and other volunteer leadership in fundraising activities as directed by senior staff.
- Conduct, analyze, report, and present varying levels of research to support individual and institutional prospect identification, rating, and qualification for the annual fund, education programs, endowment, and planned giving.
- Assist in the creation, tracking, and reporting of detailed major gift cultivation and solicitation moves management strategies, and corresponding plans.
- Write confidential individual and institutional prospect profiles and briefings to prepare senior fundraisers for visits, events, and solicitations.
- Maintain effective individual and institutional prospect research, management, and reporting systems that manage prospect tracking on and offline.
- Review on and offline media for new donor/funder prospects as well as information pertinent to current individual and institutional prospects, donors/funders, giving trends, and individual, foundation, and corporate philanthropy.
- Coordinate and manage individual and institutional prospect research requests and implement/maintain procedures for review.
- Serve as Development team specialist in all prospect research needs including, but not limited to recording research in donor database, hard files, and the share drive, SFJAZZ’s prospect management system, Target Analytics and ResearchPoint, training, guidelines, and policies.
- Conduct, report, and present research on SFJAZZ rental clients.
- Provide customer service for Major and Planned Giving donors as needed.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Bachelors Degree with two to three years of direct experience within a nonprofit development department OR five years of progressive job related experience.
Status & Scope:
- Persistent, resourceful, and motivated self-starter looking for a career in non-profit performing arts fundraising.
- Highly organized, independent worker, with the ability to work under pressure to coordinate and prioritize multiple requests and meet competing deadlines.
- Superior writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal and nonverbal communication skills as well as strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success in using a donor database; Tessitura experience a plus.
- Collaborative work style and history of working effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Commitment to and ability to articulate SFJAZZ’s mission.
Working Conditions:The work schedule varies from customary office hours to some evenings and weekends, with peak periods of long hours during critical periods such as key fundraising months, VIP presentations, and special events.
Salary: The salary will be commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be accompanied by a proper cover letter to be considered. Resumes will be accepted until position filled. Please no phone calls or faxes.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.