The SFJAZZ Development department seeks a part-time, temporary contract writer to support and augment the efforts of the fundraisers on staff. Time can vary greatly, from two to 20 hours per month, depending upon the appeals and special events in production at that time. We are looking for somebody who has significant success writing fundraising appeals in the nonprofit sector as well strong familiarity with the artists and history of jazz music, and who will maintain the organization’s voice of authority and expertise in the field.
Reports to: Director of Development
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar SFJAZZ Center launched in 2013 and the 32-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2014/2015 Season is more than $12 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
- Produce copy for fundraising appeals, including membership renewals, special program solicitations (i.e. year-end, education appeals), and pledge reminders
- Produce biographies and organizational background copy for special fundraising event programs, invitations, and marketing materials
- Reorganize and/or edit existing copy for a variety of channels and formats (email, web, social media, on-site, etc.)
- In collaboration with Development and Education staff, brainstorm fundraising concepts and themes relevant to current organizational and industry trends, and which leverage the community impact of SFJAZZ artistic and education programs
- Other writing needs as determined by the Development department
- 4-5 years experience writing fundraising copy for nonprofits
- 2-3 years experience writing about popular music, including jazz and blues
- Available to work with both long lead times and on short notice
- Demonstrated familiarity with applying a campaign across multiple channels (print, email, web, social, etc)
- High level of comfort working with collaborative software, such as Google docs, Smartsheet, Basecamp, etc
- Superior verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work remotely
To apply: Please send resume and three writing samples to email@example.com. All applications must have these components to be considered, and must demonstrate both the music and nonprofit fundraising experience described above. Resumes will be accepted until position filled. Please no phone calls or faxes.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.