SFJAZZ Collective CD: Live 2004 Inaugural Concert Tour
In spring of 2004, SFJAZZ launched an exiting new jazz ensemble, the SFJAZZ Collective, featuring eight all-star musician/composers who consistently rank among the top artists today. Billboard ranked the debut of the SFJAZZ Collective as "one of the two most significant jazz moments of 2004" and pronounced the CD "a remarkable 3-CD documentation." For their inaugural season, the group’s repertoire included the debut of new works composed by each Collective member and highlighted the music of master innovator Ornette Coleman. SFJAZZ sound engineers carefully recorded every performance of the SFJAZZ Collective in its inaugural year, and selected the best of the best for this limited-edition collectible 3-CD set.
Featuring Joshua Redman (Artistic Director, tenor and soprano saxophone), Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphones, marimba), Nicholas Payton (trumpet), Renee Rosnes (piano), Miguel Zenon (alto saxophone, flute), Robert Hurst (bass), Josh Roseman (trombone) and Brian Blade (drums).
- Complete 3-CD set available exclusively through SFJAZZ - not available in stores.
- First set of limited edition CD's have sold out. We are now selling a second pressing.
- CD-sized booklet contains rare photographs from tour and rehearsal, insightful essays, and artist biographies.
- New compositions by individual Collective band members.
- Six newly arranged works of modern master Ornette Coleman by Grammy-winning arranger Gil Goldstein.
DISC 1 - Music of Ornette Coleman (arr. by Gil Goldstein)
1. School Work
2. Una Muy Bonita
3. Lonely Woman
4. When Will The Blues Leave
6. Happy House
DiSC 2 - Original Compositions
1. Lingala (Miguel Zenón)
2. Rise and Fall (Joshua Redman)
3. March Madness (Bobby Hutcherson)
4. From Darkness To Light (Nicholas Payton)
DISC 3 - Original Compositions
1. Of This Day's Journey (Renee Rosnes)
2. Wages (Brian Blade)
3. Overground (Invocation) (Joshua Roseman)
4. Fred Sanford Went To Spain To Siesta (Robert Hurst)