Stage Manager, On-Call
The SFJAZZ Stage Manager provides logistical and leadership support for SFJAZZ Artistic, Education, and Rental departments events under the direction of the Technical Director.
The Stage Manager provides direction to SFJAZZ Technical Staff and Artist Assistants during the load-in, show, and strike. It also collaborates with the Production Manager to meet the requirements of a performance or event based on the advance. It is key for this role to keep both SFJAZZ Technical Staff and Artist's Personnel on track with the advanced schedule. The Stage Manager will practice active time management to ensure set-up, soundcheck, and performance or event periods are started and completed on time. This position requires the individual to be familiar with the entire event lifecycle from load-in, soundcheck, performance or event, and load-out and requires knowledge of production terminology and departments. The ideal candidate has experience supervising staff and calling technical cues for a show.
Excellent time-management skills are essential for the position.
- Review and manage performance or event schedules
- Ensure all in-house staging, safety, and show protocol policies are enforced
- Provide a consistent presence on stage and be available to Production and Artists’ staff
- Work closely with the Production Manager and Technical Personnel
- Liaise with musicians, emcees, moderators, presenters, etc. to resolve issues and fulfill onstage requests
- Communicate performance information to the House Manager, Security or other pertinent personnel
- Assist the technical crew with stage set-up, placing stage dressing, setting backline and risers
- Operate theatrical equipment, such as touchscreen A/V and lighting controls, intercoms, and analog audio consoles
- Call technical cues (audio, video, lighting, etc.) before and during events
- Manage backstage areas during events
- Submit Stage Manager reports post-show with any pertinent notes or feedback specific to the performance or event
- Other duties as assigned
Proficiency in the following equipment/software:
- Microsoft Windows and macOS
- Google Suite Applications and Microsoft Office
- Analog audio console
- Base knowledge of backline
- Experience working with artists and high profile individuals
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Sound creative judgment
- Must be able to give direction and provide real-time feedback
- Ability to communicate in English, both written and verbally; knowledge of Spanish is an asset
- Ability to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Mention “Stage Manager On-Call” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Job Title: Stage Manager On-Call
Reports to: Technical Director
FLSA: Non-exempt, on-call and as needed
Prepared: March 2022