Effective as of January 26, 2021.
Personal Information We May Collect
Information you provide to us. Personal information you provide to us through the Services may include:
- Contact information, such as your first and last name, address, email address, phone number, professional title and organization name. For example, you can sign up for our newsletter by providing your email address and a name.
- Account information, such as your username and password and any account preferences for the Services. All credit card info transmitted through the website, and all credit card info entered manually by staff into any processing software is hosted by our CRM, Tessitura, on their servers. When the offices are open, any credit card info received by regular postal mail to SFJAZZ is redacted or destroyed after manual entry by staff. Once entered into Tessitura, staff can only see the last four digits and expiration date of any credit card.
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, or otherwise correspond with us.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use the Services and interact with us, including information you provide when you use any interactive features of the Services. For example, we collect information on your purchase and usage history, such as what tickets you have purchased and the digital products you have consumed.
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving communications about our products, activities, and publications, and details about how you engage with our communications.
If you choose to connect your account on a third-party platform or network to the Services, like using your Medium account to access our blog, we may collect information from that platform or network. For example, this information may include your Medium username, profile picture, and other profile information. You may also have the opportunity to provide us with additional information via the third-party platform or network, such a list of your connections. You can read more about your privacy choices for social media networks and other third-party platforms below.
Information we obtain from other third parties. We may seek and receive personal information about you from third-party sources, such as via internet searches, marketing partners, publicly-available sources (including LinkedIn), and data providers. We also receive and exchange user and donor lists with other entities such as the San Francisco Symphony. We use these data sources for development and marketing purposes.
Cookies and Other Information Collected by Automated Means
We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and activity occurring on or through the Services. The information that may be collected automatically includes your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model; device identifier; browser type; screen resolution; IP address; the website you visited before browsing to our website; general location information such as city, state or geographic area; and information about your use of and actions on the Services, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access. Our service providers and business partners may collect this type of information over time and across third-party websites and mobile applications.
How We May Use Your Personal Information
To operate the Services. We use your personal information to:
- provide the Services’ functionality to you, such as arranging access to your registered account, and providing you with related customer service;
- respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via one of our online contact forms or otherwise, for example, when you send us questions, suggestions, compliments or complaints, or when you request information about our upcoming shows or events;
- provide you with information about membership, making donations and other marketing engagement;
- provide you with tickets and access to SFJAZZ’s digital products, including on-demand concerts (e.g. full concerts from the archives, and Backstage: Making of a Song), live streaming performances from the SFJAZZ Center (e.g. Alone Together), Fridays At Five and other concert recordings,as well as the Website and Apps, and all data, text, designs, pages, print screens, images, artwork, photographs, audio and video, HTML code, source code, or software that resides or is viewable or otherwise made available through the Website and Apps (collectively, the “SFJAZZ Content”);
- offer you the ability to purchase memberships and merchandise, view or rent online performances and on-demand content, obtain tickets or access to in-person shows and events, and otherwise view or access the SFJAZZ Content through the Website and Apps (collectively, the “Transactions”), and provide you with customer service in connection with the Transactions;
- update our postal mailing lists and telephone lists for our catalogues and brochures, special events and offers, and other general information;
- conduct giveaways, contests, raffles and similar promotions through the Site that may require or allow registration. You should carefully review the rules of each giveaway, content, raffle, and promotion in which you participate through the Site, as they main contain additional important information about San Francisco Jazz Organization's or a sponsor's use of your personally identifiable information. Insofar as the terms and conditions of such rules concerning the treatment of your personally identifiable information conflict with this Privacy Statement, the terms and conditions of such rules shall control.
- send administrative information to you, such as changes to our Terms of Service and policies;
- Provide, operate, and improve the Services and our organization, including for fundraising and development purposes;
- Establish and maintain your user profile on the Services;
- Facilitate social features of the Services, such as our blog
- Communicate with you about the Services, including by sending you marketing announcements, SMS notifications, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Understand your interests and personalize your experience with the Services;
- Provide support and maintenance for the Services; and
- Respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
For research and development. We analyze use of the Services to improve the Services and to develop new products and services.
To send you marketing and promotional communications. We may send you marketing communications as permitted by law. You can opt out of our marketing and promotional communications as described below.
To comply with law. We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use your personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and (c) protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity.
With your consent. In some cases we may specifically ask for your consent to collect, use, or share your personal information, such as when required by law.
To create anonymous data. We may create aggregated and other anonymous data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Services and promote our business.
How We Share Your Personal Information
Service providers. We may share your personal information with third-party companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the Services (such as customer support, hosting, analytics, email delivery, marketing, video delivery, device apps, and database management services). These third parties may use your personal information only as authorized by their contracts with us.
Partners. We may sometimes share your personal information with business partners such as digital marketing vendors or enable them to collect information directly via our Services. You can find the privacy policies of some of these partners and vendors here:
Third-party platforms and social media networks. If you have enabled features or functionality that connect the Services to a third-party platform or social media network (such as by connecting your account with a third party to the Services or sharing content via a third-party platform), we may disclose the personal information that you authorized us to share. We do not control the third party’s use of your personal information.
Other Users of the Services and the Public. We may provide functionality that enables you to disclose personal information to other users of the Services or the public. For instance, if you submit content to the Services (such as comments to a blog post), we may display some information, such as your name and a link to your user profile along with the content you submit. We do not control how other users or third parties use any personal information that you make available to other users or the public.
Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors, and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described above.
Government Requests. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this policy, we may preserve or disclose your information if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal request or to protect the safety, property, or rights of SFJAZZ or others. However, nothing in this policy is intended to limit any legal defenses or objections that you may have to a third party or government request to disclose your information.
Business transfers. We may sell, transfer, or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a (potential) business transaction such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to all users.
Access or update your information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into your account.
Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email or through the My Account section of SFJAZZ.org. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
Choosing not to share your personal information. Where we are required by law to collect your personal information, or where we need your personal information to provide the Services to you, if you do not provide this information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with the Services. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive the Services by designating it as required at the time of collection or through other appropriate means.
Third-party platforms or social media networks. If you choose to connect to the Services via a third-party platform or social media network, you may have the ability to limit the information that we may obtain from the third party at the time you connect your third-party account to the Services. Subsequently, you may be able to control your settings through the third-party platform. If you withdraw our ability to access certain information from a third-party platform or social media network, that choice will not apply to information that we have already received from that third party.
Other Sites, Mobile Applications, and Services
The Services may contain links to, or content or features from, other websites and online services operated by third parties. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. In addition, our content may be included on web pages or in mobile applications or online services that are not associated with us. We do not control third-party websites, mobile applications, or online services, and we are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites and mobile applications and online services you use.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we collect. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
We try our best to provide you with leading security practices, like encrypting all requests via a secure connection (HTTPS). However, no data transmission on the internet or on a network is 100% secure, so we cannot make a guarantee. Take care to manage access to the computers and devices where you are logged in to our application.
In addition, we have developed, implemented, and maintain employee training regarding safeguarding personal information, conduct risk assessments and use readily available security measures to periodically monitor systems and assets to identify data security events, imposed reasonable data access controls, do not store consumers' personal information on its network in clear text, and have a process to secure and inventory devices with access to personal information.
International Data Transfers
We are headquartered in the United States and have service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred outside of your state, province, or country to the United States or other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
The Services are not directed to, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from, anyone under the age of 16. If we learn that we have collected personal information of a child without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian, we will delete it. We encourage parents with concerns to contact us.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy or SFJAZZ’s privacy practices, email us at email@example.com. You may also write to us via postal mail at:
SFJAZZ Box Office
Attn: Legal – Privacy
201 Franklin St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information that we share with certain third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in your request and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
If you are a California resident, you can request information regarding the disclosure, if any, of your personal information by SF Jazz to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com
Effective as of December 26, 2020
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies serve different purposes, like helping us understand how a site is being used, letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences and generally improving your browsing experience.
Our Sites may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them).
We use two broad categories of cookies: (1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which we use to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Sites; and (2) third -party cookies, which are served by service providers or business partners on our Sites, and can be used by these parties to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites. Third party cookies can be used for a variety of purposes, including site analytics, advertising and social media features.
What types of cookies and similar technologies does SFJAZZ use on the Sites?
Who serves the cookies
How to control them
These cookies are used by advertising companies to collect information about how you use our Sites and other websites over time. These companies use this information to show you ads they believe will be relevant to you within our Services and elsewhere, and to measure how the ads perform.
See ‘your choices’ below.
These cookies help us understand how our Services is performing and being used. These cookies may work with web beacons included in emails we send to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients.
See ‘your choices’ below.
Google Analytics uses its own cookies. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here and about how Google protects your data here. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Sites by downloading and installing a browser plugin available here.
These cookies enhance the performance and functionality of our Services.
See ‘your choices’ below.
In addition to cookies, our Sites may use other technologies, such as Flash technology and pixel tags to collect information automatically.
Browser Web Storage
We may use browser web storage (including via HTML5), also known as locally stored objects (“LSOs”), for similar purposes as cookies. Browser web storage enables the storage of a larger amount of data than cookies. Your web browser may provide functionality to clear your browser web storage.
We (and our service providers such as Wordfly) may also use web beacons (which are also known as pixel tags and clear GIFs) on our Sites and in our HTML formatted emails to track the actions of users on our Sites and interactions with our emails. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages or within HTML formatted emails. Pixel tags are used to demonstrate that a webpage was accessed or that certain content was viewed, typically to measure the success of our marketing campaigns or engagement with our emails and to compile statistics about usage of the Sites, so that we can manage our content more effectively.
Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies, the Sites may not work properly.
For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Sites.
Users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the Network Advertising Initiative by clicking here or the Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking here. Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in the opt-out mechanisms above.
If you choose to opt out of targeted advertisements, you will still see advertisements online but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you do choose to opt out, not all companies that serve online targeted advertising are included in this list, and so you may still receive some cookies and tailored advertisements from companies that are not listed.
Information about the cookies we use may be updated from time to time, so please check back on a regular basis for any changes.