Senior Manager, Membership
The Senior Manager, Membership oversees stewardship of more than 14,000 donors who give up to $1,500 annually, while developing strategies to grow the SFJAZZ membership community. The role is focused on creating and conducting engaging membership campaigns and providing vision, coaching, and supervision for a Donor Services team of three. Success in this role includes the ability to inspire thoughtful collaboration with staff in the Development, Marketing, Box Office, Operations, and Artistic departments and a strong understanding of the motivations of a curious, diverse, and deeply engaged base of music fans. During the COVID-19 pandemic, SFJAZZ’s newly launched digital program has enlisted more and retained more than 5,000 new monthly and annual members from all 50 states and around the world.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement ambitious annual plans and campaigns for the acquisition and retention of Members giving $25 - $1,499 annually;
- With the Director of Development, create and manage a long-term program strategy that aligns with the organization’s vision and strategic plan;
- Supervise the Donor Services team, ensuring successful execution of all member appeals, renewals, pledge reminders, and event invitations via mail, email, and phone;
- Conceive and supervise the production of collateral materials to promote the membership program, including renewal and acquisition marketing, benefits development and descriptions, and customer service communications;
- Facilitate meetings, timelines, and communication between Development, Marketing, consultants and vendors in the successful design and production of membership collateral;
- Create, track and report on membership revenue and expenses. Analyze membership trends and direct response; create and implement strategies that will grow membership and deepen donor engagement;
- Research, identify, and develop new tactics for increasing giving amongst current donors, reinstating lapsed donors, and acquiring new donors;
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Digital teams to identify and capitalize on opportunities to increase philanthropic engagement among digital members;
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for Members;
- Produce Member-Only events, e.g. Listening Parties, in collaboration with Development and Production events staff;
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and prospective donors, including handling sensitive customer service issues and training staff in customer service policies and techniques;
- Collaborate with Marketing team to create and maintain effective membership messages across SFJAZZ.org and related sites, as well as on social media;
- Attend cultivation, educational, and artistic events to meet Members, represent the organization, and remain familiar with the constituent experience;
- Collaborate with individual giving staff to support upgrading Members to Leaders Circle levels; and,
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert halls and in the community, and at donor events.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may expand to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Three to five years experience running a successful membership/loyalty program for a cultural or entertainment organization with significant direct marketing campaigns;
- Strong attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects;
- Demonstrated familiarity with direct response analysis and A/B testing techniques;
- Ability to work well with diverse personalities across position levels and departments;
- Fluency with customer relationship management databases and strong Excel skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed; and
- A keen interest in jazz and related music is extremely advantageous.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods and special events. This job occasionally requires work during evenings and weekends.
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications, excellent benefits, and, post-pandemic, a dynamic, casual San Francisco office. The ability to speak business-level English is also required.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Writing and other work samples are welcome. Mention “Senior Manager, Membership” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position filled.
Job Title: Senior Manager, Membership
Reports To: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: April 23, 2021