As a member of SFJAZZ’s Development team, the Grants Manager reports to and works with the Director of Development to develop a strategy to raise funds from foundations, corporations and government agencies. The Grants Manager will execute all aspects of the plan, including research and identification of prospects; cultivation and relationship management for the portfolio; proposal development and solicitation; and overseeing SFJAZZ’s fulfillment of all grants and awards. The Manager is also responsible for the promotion of institutional giving programs, income reconciliation, and budget management for institutional giving. The Grants Manager is a member of a twelve-person development team at SFJAZZ and works collegially with other staff across the organization.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million Center launched in 2013 and the 34-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2016-17 Season is $16 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
- Manage all aspects of the grants program, including identification, research, cultivation, and solicitation of granting institutions through meetings and written proposals;
- Develop a detailed annual plan of revenues and expenditures for the institutional goal areas that links to overall fundraising goals;
- Work with the Finance Director and others as needed to develop meaningful project budgets for grant submissions;
- Using the organization’s database, manage and track the grants cycle and solicitation calendar, the implementation of all grant contracts, and the success of all foundation and government fundraising campaigns;
- Manage all post-award grants management and stewardship, working with departments across the organization to complete all grant obligations, program and events development, public recognition for funders, and the timely acknowledgment of and reporting on grants;
- Work collaboratively with other Development staff on the identification of new corporate philanthropic prospects; assist in developing proposals and fulfilling reporting requirements of existing corporate donors;
- Assist individual giving officers in the preparation of reports for donor advised funds and family foundations;
- Direct, track and report on a program of regular phone contact, meetings, and site visits to keep the Board and staff connected to institutional funders;
- Develop and maintain up-to-date promotional materials for all institutional giving programs including organizational overview materials, brochures, web copy, and other pieces;
- Conduct reconciliation meetings as needed to ensure the accurate booking and projection of institutional gifts for current and future fiscal years;
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert halls and in the community.
- Three to five years of development experience, with proven success in foundations and government fundraising and relations;
- Ability to conceive, plan, and execute an institutional giving program;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, incl. previous grant writing experience;
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail;
- Experience with working on computers and with computer programs Word, Excel, Google applications and databases; Tessitura experience highly desired;
- Entrepreneurial and creative approach to fundraising;
- Prior experience working in a performing arts organization highly desirable;
- Knowledge and interest in jazz and related music is a plus.
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications, excellent benefits, and a dynamic, casual San Francisco office. Evening work is often required. The ability to speak business-level English and a California driver’s license are also required.
To be considered for this position, submit resume, cover letter, and at least one substantial writing sample that demonstrates the above skills to the email address Jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Applications sent through other channels may not be considered. Please no phone calls.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.