Under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Graphic Designer is responsible for brand management for SFJAZZ, design, production and project management of advertising (online, print, digital and broadcast), collateral development, merchandise design, and environmental graphics. This is a hands-on position requiring a positive attitude, organizational and communication skills, clear understanding of and experience in branding, the ability to work in a collaborative team environment, the talent to create compelling and appropriate design solutions, and the discipline to manage multiple large projects responsibly. This person works collaboratively with another Graphic Designer within the Marketing Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the SFJAZZ brand identity and its iterations and the application of the SFJAZZ brand in all marketing, communications and promotional contexts. Oversees the dissemination of, and appropriate use of imagery and corporate identity materials as necessary to outside vendors, sponsors and associates.
- Responsible for design of all materials associated with SFJAZZ and SFJAZZ Center events and programs, including but not limited to, advertising (digital, print, broadcast, outdoor), sales catalogues, program books, brochures, postcards, website, posters, invitations, venue signage, press materials and merchandise.
- Meets with various SFJAZZ departments to discuss project objectives and requirements; develops and presents appropriate design solutions.
- Selects and edits photography.
- Obtains required approvals for all phases of a project, works well under pressure and responsibly meets deadlines and budget requirements.
- Any other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7- 10 years design experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of branding principles and imperatives required.
- Work experience with a preference for advertising agency, design studio and/or arts/entertainment organizations.
- Expertise with industry-standard graphic design and digital art production tools for print and web media is essential with strong skills required in Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), as well as Acrobat and PowerPoint.
- In-depth knowledge of production processes in both print and digital media required.
- Must have strong project management skills, ability to think strategically and manage multiple and often conflicting priorities, anticipate demands, coordinate stringent deadlines, and be agile in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of graciously synthesizing and incorporating feedback from a variety of sources.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including the ability to sell your design concepts to the management team.
- Strong interest in the performing arts and jazz music.
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS:
- Flash experience.
- HTML coding.
- Degree in graphic design or combination of work experience and associates degree.
- Sense of humor with a positive attitude.
- Flexible in the face of chaos.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods. This job requires occasional work during evenings and weekends.
Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio
that includes work samples in all of the following areas: magazine, direct mail, advertising
Submit to email@example.com with Graphic Designer in the Subject line. Resumes without all the requested information or sent to other email addresses may not be considered. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. NO phone calls please.
Will be based upon professional and academic experience.
***SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SFJAZZ and will contact those selected for an interview.