Technical Director, Production
Technical Director, Production
Lead SFJAZZ in all phases of technical production of events – jazz concerts, performances, multi- media presentations – with a team of core production staff create world class listening and viewing experiences for patrons. The Technical Director, Production has oversight responsibility (maintenance, repair, capital recommendations) of all theatrical systems at the SFJAZZ Center.
Reports to: Director of Production
Department: Director, Production
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 32-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2014/2015 Season is more than $12 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
- Oversee Stage Crew to provide high quality patron experiences at SFJAZZ. Particularly, manage Audio Engineers, Lighting Designer/Engineers, Video Engineers, Stage Managers and Stage Crew. Additionally, oversee Events Services staff.
- Collaborate with the Production Managers for all events to assess and determine technical requirements for any show or production at the SFJAZZ Center.
- Oversee creation and maintenance of standard operating procedures, drawings and documentation related to all staging and technical systems in performance spaces.
- Manage technical projects - from start to finish - including maintenance schedules, technical upgrades, employee trainings on technical systems including Crestron and Paradigm and all theater installations, etc.
- Work with Finance Director and Director of Production to establish asset management system for all theatrical equipment (including backline, microphones, chairs, stands and all other theatrical gear). Create system to track all gear for repair and scheduled maintenance.
- Provide oversight of and be the subject matter expert of the video capture, production and editing systems at SFJAZZ. Provide direction and oversight as to how these systems interact with all systems in the theater/auditoriums.
- Problem solve and collaborate with SFJAZZ management and staff to create a solutions- based environment for all events.
- Key advisory role in development of annual and special project budgets as needed.
- 10+ years of experience in theater or concert production with extensive knowledge of audio, lighting and video, rigging and theatrical procedures.
- Strong collaborative cross-functional team management, and project management skills.
- Must demonstrate creative thinking, sense of humor, supervisory confidence and the willingness to take on challenges.
- Flexible and adapts readily to changing priorities and needs of fast-paced organization.
- Brings a positive and “can do” attitude to any and all projects, including driving organizational culture.
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications (Excel, Word,) and email.
- Proficiency in performing arts calendaring software a plus.
- Proficiency in Vectorworks and/or Auto CAD a plus.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ideal candidate has a passion for Jazz and live-performance music.
To apply: To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or faxes.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.