The Associate Director, Development Events is responsible for planning and producing all major SFJAZZ fundraising and stewardship events, including the annual Gala, Salons, Artist Dinners and other events essential to the organization’s fundraising goals. The Associate Director, Development Events will work closely with and manage the efforts of event committees, hosts and senior leadership, and will ensure a unified and comprehensive plan for all Development events. This position supervises the Events Associate.
Reports to: Director of Development
About SFJAZZ: SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 33-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2015-16 Season is more than $14 million with about half coming from ticket revenues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- In consultation with Director of Development, design a comprehensive plan for Development events that achieves SFJAZZ fundraising and strategic goals.
- Design engagement plans for event attendees, in collaboration with gift officers, integrating with individual giving, major gifts, corporate and membership annual plans.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Events Coordinator in the creation of timelines, budgets, and procedures for all Development events.
- Manage solicitation plans for major fundraising events, including overseeing event marketing and PR plans; Collaborate with gift officers in prospect cultivation and solicit donors for participation in events.
- Work with the Corporate Partnerships Manager in the solicitation of sponsorship prospects; Lead in-kind sponsor solicitation for events.
- Serve as liaison to partners, neighbors, and production and operations departments to optimize event logistics; Participate in regular production and operation meetings. Create and lead standing event meetings as needed.
- In collaboration with Donor Services, manage all event-related mailing lists, invitations, and acknowledgements.
- Develop agendas and track action items for event committee meetings, ensuring goals and objectives are completed successfully.
- Lead event debriefs with executive leadership, senior management, and volunteers.
- Staff events as necessary, including overseeing set-up, registration, and breakdown.
- Work with Artistic Department on the scheduling and handling of artists in events.
- Create Requests for proposals (RFPs) for potential vendors; Evaluate proposals and select vendors and partners.
- With the Chief Executive Officer and Director of Development, design a timeline, plan, and goals for the exploratory phase of the creation of an SFJAZZ travel program.
- Research, develop, and implement a model for auction activities in the Development Department’s annual fundraising plan.
- Work collaboratively and professionally within the Development team and within the organization at large.
- Any other duties as assigned by Director of Development.
Status & Scope:
- Experience leading the production of large events with significant revenue goals.
- Comfort in communicating effectively with diverse array of constituents, including demonstrated experience working with high-level volunteer committees.
- Ability to think critically and creatively under pressure in public situations.
- Detail-oriented person with a passion for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strong conceptual abilities; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor and appearance.
- Knowledge of and interest in jazz and related music.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree with five years of direct experience within a nonprofit organization OR seven years of progressive job related experience in event production.
Working Conditions: The work schedule includes customary office hours plus potential for overtime hours during critical periods such as Festival weeks and special events. The position requires as-need work during evenings and weekends. Position also requires standing for long periods of time and the ability to lift 50+lbs.
Salary: Exempt, and based upon professional and academic experience.
To Apply: To be considered, please send us: your resume, cover letter and salary history firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Associate Director, Development Events” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until position filled. Please no phone calls or faxes.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to create a diverse and harmonious workplace.