FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT
June 13, 2017 | by Ross Eustis
Malika Tirolien fronts Snarky Puppy's project Bokanté – a supergroup of Snarky Puppy members (including Michael League), lap steel virtuoso Roosevelt Collier and a trio of percussionists including longtime Paul Simon hand drummer Jamey Haddad and Banda Magda/Snarky Puppy multi-instrumentalist Keita Ogawa. Here's five things to know about Malika Tirolien.
- Malika Tirolien was raised on the island of Guadeloupe in an artistic family - her grandfather inspired her with poems, her grandmother was a pianist, and her father was a self taught multi-instrumentalist.
- A powerful stage performer, Malika took the lead in Cirque Du Soleil’s La Nouba.
- She was one of eight featured artists on Snarky Puppy’s GRAMMY-winning Family Dinner, singing "I’m Not The One."
- Malika’s solo release, "Sur La Voie Ensoleilee (On the High Road)" combines her life's influences – from the Carribean vocals and rhythms of her native Guadeloupe, to soul, jazz and hip-hop she became immersed in while studying and gigging in Montreal.
- Bokanté, Malika's new project with Snarky Puppy, debuted at the GroundUp Music Festival in 2016. In the words of Michael League: “Unity was paramount in the formation of this group. Though the ensemble is multi-lingual, multi-cultural, and multi-generational, we all feel connected as musicians and people. And in combining our different accents I feel that there is a strangely common and poignant sound, one that can reach and relate to listeners around the world.”
February 27, 2018Snarky Puppy's Michael League Picks His Favorite Dave Holland Recordings Read